Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend Review

Well, I had a most productive weekend and I accomplished much sewing! I was excited about this!

Bright and early on Saturday morning, my sons and I went to my cousin Dimples' house. She loves to cook and bake and she is excellent at this. Well, Dimples does catering in her spare time and she had two baby showers to cater for on Saturday. We hit the road and did some shopping for the items to prepare then we came home and began with the menu. For the first baby shower, they ordered more finger type foods. They had conch fitters, cheese spread, tuna salad, cupcakes and sliced cake, vegetable platter and dip, chicken wings and meatballs. We only did two huge bowls of tri color pasta with veggies for the second shower.

After we got all cleaned up from the catering, we hit the road to visit my good friend Norma so we could decide the best type material for our dresses for the Red Ribbon Ball.  The Ball is being held on Saturday, 20th November, 2010 in one of the Ballrooms of Atlantis. One of the committee members informed me that they have an exciting evening planned and it should be a night to remember.  I have finally selected the style that I want and I will be going to the fabric store this coming weekend to purchase my material and notions.

My darling cousin Dimples has dubbed me "The Traveling Seamstress." The reason for this is due to the fact that when I go to her house if I have any sewing to do, I take my machine with me. Her children [all of whom are adults] are aware of this so whenever I come around, they always need something mended. Yesterday I made a fully lined straight skirt with back split for myself. Even though I took my measurements, I still cut it slightly bigger and now I have to alter it so it can fit me properly. All my cousins said that I did a wonderful job with it.

When I finished the skirt, I made a pair of shorts for my baby niece, Da'Shanti. They are mint green and it is out of the left over fabric from the sheath dress that I had made for myself. My lil cousin Tenneil is a student at the School of Tourism and Hospitality Studies at The College of the Bahamas doing her Associates Degree in Culinary Arts. Well she brought her chef pants to be hemmed. Next in line was her big brother, Raynaldo. He is a Defence Force Officer with the Royal Bahamas Defence Force. He also plays on their softball team. Well, he came with his pants for me to put a green stripe down the side of each leg. By this time, it was 10pm and I was very tired. I was only able to complete one side and I told him I will complete the other side before Friday as this is when his next game is. I felt proud knowing that I was able to help my family through something that I love doing...Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment